Summer brings with it the promise of warmth and sunshine and of course the temptation of ice creams. While it might be convenient to buy one, have you ever given thought of preparing it at home with the help of an ice cream maker?
Ice cream machine are electricity-dependent appliances that enable users to prepare cold desserts at home. These are relatively recent inventions but now there are so many brands that it is quite common to find shelves overflowing with various types. From the buyer’s perspective, it only serves to compound the problem because surely you would prefer to buy only the best rather than any ice cream that you come across.
With the intention of helping you and ensuring that you do identify the right one, we have compiled a definiitive comparison chart of best ice cream maker wherein various criteria are discussed. We sincerely hope that the information provided here would enable you to find the best appliance so that you can make yummy ice creams for one and all without the fear of embarrassment.
Top 5 Best Ice Cream Makers
|Image||Product Name||Capacity (quarts)||Freezing Method||Price||My Ratings|
|Cuisinart ICE-30BC Pure Indulgence||2||Freezer bowl||$$||8|
|Cuisinart ICE-21||1||Freezer bowl||$$||9|
|Lello 4080 Musso Lussino||1||Self-refrigerating||$$$||9|
|Hamilton Beach 68330N||4||Ice / Rock salt||$$||7|
|DeLonghi GM6000 Gelato Maker||1.2||Self-refrigerating||$$$||7|
Factors to Bear in Mind While Buying Best Ice Cream Maker
You really do not need to be an ice cream freak in order to invest in this appliance because there are sufficient reasons that justify the purchase. To begin with, having an ice cream maker at home would enable you to whip up a deliciously cold dessert any time of the day not to mention using the favorite ingredients. So learning how to buy this home appliance is definitely going to work to your advantage both in the long as also the short run.
Your choice of models might differ from everyone else’s but as long it has been made as per these criteria, it would definitely work out for you –
- Type of machine! Given that everyone enjoys a change of taste once in a while, you must look for a machine that would enable you to whip sorbets, gelato and other frozen delights without much of a fuss. Having an all-in-one ice cream maker would enable you to experiment with different flavors, types and consistency thus resulting in a new delicacy every time.
- Method of freezing. Choose between models that have a freezing bowl vis-à-vis those that come with in-built freezer. Both have their pros and cons but one disadvantage of the former is that it requires pre-planning as compared to the latter which can deliver instant results. If you refer back to my definitive guide above, you can simply filter freezing method column to see each model freezing method. Easy right?
- Quantity and quality of ice cream produced. This is the most important yardstick for adjudging the best makers because what is the point in spending your hard-earned money for a product if the outcome is less than satisfactory or not sufficient enough? Make it a point to find a model wherein quality is premium and quantity is at least two to four quarts of ice cream per batch. One of the websites that can be relied upon to provide an honest opinion on both is Amazon.
- User friendliness makers can be best checked by closely examining the design and trying it out under supervision and also on your own. Since you will be alone at home while preparing delicious treats for family or a guest choosing a model that can be easily operated single-handedly is a must.
- Price! Ice cream makers are available in a wide range of prices and cheapest is definitely not the best in case of this machine. Once you have ascertained a model that meets your requirements, in the next step you can look for something that fits into your budget. It is equally important to determine the budget as per the frequency of use, ease of cleaning and features so that the chosen machine is affordable and functional at the same time. Lello 4080 Musso Lussino 1.5-Quart Ice Cream Machine might be on the higher side but comes with a number of plus points that easily out-weigh the price factor.
- Time taken & Noise. This are also important concerns but can be compromised on to some extent if the resulting ice cream is truly yummy and delightful. Ultimately if your kids are happy and your guests are satisfied then surely you would not mind a bit of noise or spending a little more time during the preparation.
Brief Reviews of Top 5 Best Ice Cream Maker
Cuisinart ICE-30BC Pure Indulgence 2-Quart Automatic
This model boasts of many pros and may be a few cons which is why it is a good buy for personal use. When you invest in this machine over all the other ice cream makers, then you will acquire a home appliance for churning out a variety of frozen desserts measuring at least 2 quarts per batch. All that you need to do is put together all the ingredients and turn the machine on and it would just take 25 minutes for your ice cream, sorbet or frozen yoghurt to be ready for consumption. How about a second lot? That is not a problem either courtesy of removable components and before long your ice cream machine is ready for preparation of the next lot.
Some of the aspects that render this model a good buy are –
- Versatility thanks to the powerful motor.
- Transparent and easily lockable lid which would make it possible for you to check on the progress every few minutes.
- Provision of a mixing arm to ensure thorough mixing and aeration.
- A spout for adding ingredients during the cycle without causing it to halt.
- Its base is equipped with non-slip material and storage facility for the cord with a view to prevent accidental tangling.
The only point that might irk you pertains to the fact that the bowl would need to be frozen prior to usage and that might take hours. As a solution you can keep it frozen at all times because there is a cherry on the dessert too namely the limited warranty that is valid for three years.
Cuisinart ICE-21 Frozen Yogurt, Ice Cream and Sorbet Maker
Similar to the genre of Cuisinart ice cream makers, this machine is a blessing for an extended family wherein all members love to indulge in frozen treats. As compared to its above-discussed counterpart this one is a little smaller and hence the quantity of output also comes to about one-and-half quarts. Smaller size also means less time taken which comes to only about 20 minutes. Being from Cuisinart, it also requires its freezer bowl to be used in frozen state only, a point that can be determined by shaking it and ensuring that no noise is emitted.
Given its capacity, it is ideal for a family of four with a few relations added and some of the guidelines pertaining to its usage are –
- Because the freezer bowl is liable to defrost quickly desserts take shorter time to prepare, meaning 20 minutes. This in turn makes it possible to make frozen delights even at short notice.
- A non-slip base, transparent lid and clasps are safety features which ensure that the machine is not likely to fall or hurt the user while in use.
- You can concoct healthy recipes for your family by adding fruits and nuts through the ingredient spout just two minutes prior to completion of the process.
Its only drawback is that it might not be suitable for a big gathering but that said it is perfect for family fun and building togetherness.
Lello 4080 Musso Lussino 1.5-Quart Ice-Cream Maker
Third on the list of some of the best ice cream maker is this model of Italian make that weighs a little less than 40 pounds and takes around 30 minutes to produce one-and-half quarts of yummy frozen melting moments. Few advantages that it has over its competitors are –
- Since its bowl does not require to be frozen the need for pre-preparation is completely eliminated and so is the gap between lots.
- Thanks to its automatic shut-down system the process stops as soon as the mixture reaches its requisite hardness.
- Its component parts being of stainless steel, cleaning is a breeze and high levels of hygiene are ensured.
Probably the only minus point, if it could be called that, is its warranty period which lasts for only a year as compared to other models whose warranty is for three years. Even though its quantity is on the lesser side, this machine is ideal for professional or commercial use.
Hamilton Beach 68330R 4-Quart Automatic Ice-Cream Maker
In the world of ice cream makers, this brand would still manage to grab your eye and attention because of its unique all-white exterior and contemporary looks. When you try running it you are sure to be convinced enough to buy it because it is completely free of mess and can generate as much as 4 quarts of dessert at one go.
It may be a little bigger for home usage and more suited for commercial production but even home makers would benefit from its purchase because of the following reasons –
- Once all the ingredients have been added it need not be attended to. The user can simply switch on the machine and come back to check the results after the stipulated duration.
- At the end of the process you would have four quarts of ice cream, sorbet or gelato, meaning you can treat not only your immediate family but your neighbors and friends too.
- Provision of an easy-lock lid renders the machine safe for use.
- It is easy to clean, meaning there is no problem in churning out repeated batches although these may not be required because of the huge capacity.
Only one downside that you may find in this model pertains to the time of preparation which might sometimes extend up to 40 minutes.
DeLonghi GM6000 Gelato Maker with Self-Refrigerating Compressor
If you have suddenly become conscious of your weight and physique then this is one of the exceptional machine that would be perfect for you. Although labeled as an ice cream maker, this model from DeLonghi actually produces low-fat-less-air frozen dessert named gelato that actually hails from Italy. But like the pizza, even this delight enjoys popularity on a global scale which means you need not travel to Italy to sample one but can have one in your city and now even in your home.
Some of its positive points are –
- Courtesy of its in-built compressor, the temperature of ingredients automatically falls below freezing point unlike the normal machines that come with a freezer bowl.
- Use of refrigerant gas in its design renders this machine eco friendly.
- Ease of cleaning is owing to stainless steel components.
- There is a mixing paddle which is meant for whipping up the ingredients into a smooth consistency which it does with efficiency.
It is ranked fifth owing to two drawbacks namely it can produce only gelato and secondly the paddle is made of plastic and hence prone to breakage. So if you are a part of family with children it you may have to incur extra expenditure of buying an ice cream maker for those members who do not prefer gelato.
Now that you might have formed an overview of best ice cream maker and everything that their purchase entails, it is time for you to pull up your socks and venture out as a confident and educated buyer to buy one for your needs. Instead of being taken in by the sales talk of some glib and smooth store assistant, you are fully equipped to take independent decisions bearing in mind your personal circumstances.
What about models beyond this table? Definitely there might be some that may have escaped my notice so do feel free to point them out so that I can update the content.